Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Why Hide My Insecurity?

       
       It is amazing how things can change so quickly? A couple weeks ago I was ready to fold my blogging tent. As I mentioned at the time, it felt like I had said everything I had to say. And who needs a blogger with nothing more to add?
Dozens of you have been following these posts for years, and I sensed that perhaps you too were growing a bit tired of it all. So, as I set off on my 83rd year it seemed like a good time to call it a day.
Then, scarcely a week later, with a single mouse click, I was unexpectedly transported to a very different set of possibilities. You know how I am, selling the virtues of the road less traveled and reaching beyond our comfort zone……at an age when less traveled and reaching out are not always the norm. 
As you may already know, I am not a joiner. Actually, I am rather fussy about who earns my allegiance. It has to be a fit……which is why until now my only affiliation (besides our church) has been my honorary membership in The Dull Men’s Club.
That’s right. Dull. What adjective better describes a November fellow who writes relational stories about his late-life peers? And if that same storyteller finds it awkward, even hard, to tell the world why his October stories ought to be read……you might say he is also Insecure. Generally speaking I am a reasonably secure guy, but when it comes to my stories, probably not so much. 

Surprise……I have just learned there also is a club for Insecure Writers. Think of that, I’m now a member of two clubs…..…Dull and Insecure. Am I on a roll or what? 
Over the years you’ve read my doubts in these pages ……about the stories I tell and the way I tell them. You’ve seen me grumble that no one seems to care that those stories are out there waiting to be read, even though my modest Gil Stewart Website is welcoming, and my Amazon Author's Page offers 20 books just waiting to be discovered. So it should not be surprising that this newly discovered group of creative souls, who are willing to openly discuss their insecurities about something as personal as their own writing experiences, had me feeling quite at home. My first visit to the Insecure Writers Support Group (IWSG) website convinced me I belonged there.
True, lots of those folks are kids……20s, 30s, and such……and most are women, which seems to be the norm for wannabe writers. If I was younger that might be intimidating. But I’ve outgrown that. To be sure, their stories are not at all like the Geriatric Adolescence tales I tell. But its been fun to read about the many paths they have followed on their creative journeys.
Yet no matter what their age or what they write, as I trolled through the nearly 180 member blogs, each of them linked in their own way to the same creative impulse that keeps pulling me along, it felt like I was eavesdropping on a family affair……the sort of clan I would like to be part of.
Truth to tell, at any age (even in their November years) unpublished or self-published writers are apt to find themselves in an insular space…..perhaps lacking the skills, resources, and/or the contacts to have their work refined and noticed. In a world where thousands of self-published stories are released every week it is easy to feel like we are creating something good, but no one knows about it. Seems to me that is a likely recipe for writer insecurity.


IWSG’s stated purpose is very straight forward……to help us share our writing experiences and encourage those who have set out on that path......while at the same time accepting their input about our writing efforts. The goal is to provide a forum where writers feel comfortable asking questions, offering advice, and discussing the doubts and concerns they have about their craft…….i.e. a safe haven for insecure writers, no matter what they write.
     With that in mind IWSG offers the promise of support that many of us are seeking. As part of that effort the first Wednesday of each month (that’s today) is designated as Insecure Writers Support Group Day, when we are asked to post about our own writing experiences……the doubts, the highs, and the lows……while encouraging others who share those challenges.
At the same time we will be visiting blogs of others in the group, connecting with them and sharing our input. Some of them will be visiting this blog, offering their comments. As always I’m hoping you regulars will be willing to join in the conversation.


Is it real, IWSG and the connections it promises? I suppose time will tell. Odds are it won’t create miracles, but I applaud their efforts to help us wannabe storytellers reach out and connect with each other. In the meantime, I hope you will check in on future first-Wednesday posts and help me track where all those insecurities take us.

31 comments:

  1. The writer blogger community is so awesome and like minded. The IWSG is a true connection that I need as a writer.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in. What I really enjoy are all the different approaches to their writing.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the IWSG! I hope you enjoy the group. I don't know what I'd do without it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to take in, but the first impressions are definitely positive

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to meet you, Gil. As a writer/reader in my 50s, I've a keen interest in challenging assumptions about which ages are interesting and which are not. You're clearly a talented writer, and I look forward to checking out your titles. I wish you a happy, healthy, productive 2019.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say that old folks like me are wise. And I am, every once in a while, when I can kick the brain-lock. Mainly its a matter of keep plugging along.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Gil! Welcome to the IWSG! I'm a fellow IWSG member, and I have appreciated the group from the moment I joined. I'm glad that you didn't abandon your blog. I thoroughly enjoyed your post. All the best in the coming year, and good luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, abandoning the blog! That was one of those insecure moments, when I wasn't sure I was connecting with my readers. Fortunately, the wife convinced me to keep trying. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Welcome to the IWSG! This is one of the most wonderful and supportive writing communities out there. If it wasn't for the IWSG, I don't think I would have ever had the courage to publish a book, let alone two. They've been there for me every step of the way and I'm grateful for the relationships I've developed along the way.

    Cheers - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen. I am new at this, but there is obviously so much experience and good advice out there. I am looking to soak up as much of that as I can.

      Delete
  6. Dull and Insecure? Sounds like me. You'll be surprised, my friend, that many of these writers are already published. I never call an aspiring writer a wannabe because everyone has to start somewhere. A lot of us offer great support and advice on the topic you post for that scheduled day. The best way to garner such responses are to click on as many bloggers' links on the master list and read and reply to their posts, and they will come to yours. Works like a charm! Best wishes!
    Happy 2019!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth -- my introduction to IWSG has been interesting to say the least. So many folks supporting each other, even when it appears they are marching in different directions.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Dull and insecure? I resemble that!
    Welcome to the IWSG. We are a fun and odd lot but at our core we are helpful and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex -- I see the help and encouragement everywhere. This is quite a movement you have created. I look forward to knowing more about it.

      Delete
  8. Welcome, Gil, to the land of insecure writers. Love your attitude and your post. Your sense of humor will take you anywhere. Hope to see you back next month. Best wishes for a prosperous new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane -- I'm not sure that "prosperous" will define my new year. But I am looking forward to learning what IWSG can teach me. Thanks for checking in.

      Delete
  9. Welcome to IWSG! Thanks for visiting my blog, Play off the Page, and leaving a comment. That's how it works. We visit each other, offer encouragement, and keep working on our art. Keep on telling your stories and sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary -- Best of all, there seems to be a thing or two to learn along the way. And I'm one of those who has a lot to learn.

      Delete
  10. I find it fascinating and reassuring that although we're all very different, and our writing even more so, we tend to have similar insecurities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patsy -- If we were totally secure would we need to create fictional worlds, populated with fictional people whom we can bend to our will? Perhaps secure people write non-fiction, while the rest of us imagine into being the story that reflects our insecurity. Could that be?

      Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you're still blogging! And if not for IWSG, I wouldn't have found you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are times when I can't find myself. Anyway, the "stop blogging" virus seems to have passed, and I'm glad you found me. Here's to an eventful 2019.

      Delete
  12. Welcome to the IWSG! Like you, I'm older and wider. (Maybe wiser, too, but definitely wider than I used to be!)

    I'm glad you decided to hang in there with the blogging. Some days, I feel like hanging it up, too, but then what would I do? Sitting on the porch watching the grass grow isn't particularly appealing. Nor is jumping out of airplanes. I suppose writing's stuck with me.

    It's very nice to meet you. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a Happy New Year to you too. Like you I don't really have a lot of other choices. The front porch is rainy and windy. The wife keeps kicking me off the couch. And there is always another chapter to finish or blog post to work on. I suppose that will be my 2019.

      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  13. Hello Gil
    Welcome to IWSG. I look forward to reading more of your blog and especially love "Geriatric Adolescence!"
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura - thanks for checking in. As for Geriatric Adolescence, there comes a time when it's the only option. All the best for 2019.

      Delete
    2. Laura, I should have added that if you'd like to be on my October Years blog email list just send your address to octoberyears@gmail.com

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. I'm looking forward to seeing where IWSG leads. We''ll see.

      Delete
  15. I'm so happy you took the plunge and joined us, Gil! I hope you find it as rewarding as I have.

    The IWSG is a great bunch of people, and when you need them, they've got your back.

    Btw, a fellow who's written 20 books and continues to write and blog in his eighties isn't what I'd call dull. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for checking in, JH, and for your help in bringing me here in the first place. So far my IWSG adventure has been an eyeopener. As for writing and blogging at my age, it's the best way I've found to help my forty year-old mind deal with my 82 year-old body. Besides, there are a lot of us late-lifers with things to say and stories to tell. Btw - if I may be so bold, if you sent your email address to octoberyears@gmail.com I'd be proud to add you to my October Years blog email list. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete