Thursday, November 30, 2017

The Dull Men's Club




The first time I highlighted this hallowed organization on these pages I thought I would be a natural for membership in their club. If that was true then, it is even more so today.

            ~~~

Can you believe it? Turns out I have become a follower of an organization I didn't even know existed. Truth is, I am a natural fit for any club whose motto is ---”It’s okay to be dull.”
The Dull Man's Club is my kind of group. There are no dues, the few meetings are optional. And there seem to be few rules. Who can argue with an organization that claims it’s greatest achievement is --- “Remaining dull in spite of ever increasing pressure to change.” You can tell that these folks have taken Creative Dullness to a whole new level.
It is, after all, about using ones time in a wise and prudent manner. If you are one of those ‘on the go’ sort, who hurry around, never having time to take your time, I urge you to learn more about The Dull Men’s Club. Because in the end it is all about time. 
As one of their members explains --- “Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.” And besides, another one says --- “Slow motion gets you there faster.” Turns out, if there is one thing Dullers are good at, it is taking their time.
Did you ever stop to realize that even ‘coincidence’ can be dull. Over the years I have posted several times about the year our family spent living in Winchester, England. Heck, Roma and I even wrote a book about those months. So, a few days ago, when I learned that the contact for the Dull Men’s Club has a Winchester address, it felt a bit like going home.
During our time in Winchester we got to know several Hampshire men. As I remember, they were not a typically ‘dull’ crowd in those days. Still, I’m not surprised to learn that at least some of them have crossed the late-life bridge into ‘dullness.’ I for one am glad to have their company.
These folks have found ways to make even the ‘dullest’ activity sound appealing. That, of course, requires both a lively imagination and the time to sit back and mull the possibilities. Apparently they are especially good at ‘sitting back and mulling.’ You have to admire men like that.
As for imagination---I invite you to view this Dull Men’s Club video, which offers delightful insights into ‘dullness  in action,’ as practiced by the pros. After that, a visit to the Club’s Website offers a window on the amazing range of the members’ ‘dull’ projects. These fellows have taken 'ordinary' to extraordinary lengths, while helping the rest of us see things that have always been there, but are not always appreciated.
Scrolling through the website confirms what I probably have know all along. My all-too-obvious dullness is clearly of the mundane, pedestrian sort. The truly Dull Men you meet there have taken dullness to a higher level. They deserve our admiration and acclaim for the way they have made dullness something to strive for.
If you are one of those ‘on the go’ folks, I hope you will check this out. And if you know someone whose ‘Dullness Quotient’ might make him or her a candidate for Dull Men's Club membership I hope you will share this post with them.

Now I must remember to remind the wife that “dull is good.” Near as I can tell she knows that I’m ‘dull,’ but doesn’t always see the ‘good’ in that. Perhaps she just needs more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment