Saturday, December 19, 2020

If ever we needed Christmas


I know what you’re thinking. As years go 2020 has been a bummer in so many ways. Each of us, in our own way, has dealt with month after month of intimidating isolation, longing for a return to normal. The fortunate among us have maintained contact with family, friends, even our church, via Zoom and emails. Though nothing can replace a grandchild’s hug, thank goodness for those ‘second best” alternatives.


Though the latest vaccine news offers reason for hope, they tell us we can expect hard months ahead. And if ever we needed a season of hope….… Christmas in its deepest meaning…..this is that time. Surely, with so many of our neighbors hurting in one way or another, we ought to be extra generous with our Christmas spirit.


Beyond that, I tell myself that this year of the abnormal calls for a bit of geriatric, virus-appropriate boldness. If you are like me you have been housebound……pacing the floor, wearing out your recliner and treadmill, and generally rattling your cage. We would like to fill our hours with productive and satisfying pursuits, but what can we do in the face of these circumstances?


It took some looking, but I finally settled on what might be an answer to my personal “boldness” challenge. I actually believed that my timid excursion into the world of bread making might be enough. After all, what damage could a kitchen-illiterate like me, armed with a bread-making machine, possibly do? Turned out I can produce an edible loaf of bread almost every time. But that modest bit of success still had me falling short on the “boldness” scale. It was time to find something more.


In an earlier post I recapped my totally selfish, off-the-wall idea of serializing my Second Chances story. I won’t bore you with the details. Suffice it to say I consider that undeniably “bold” project a success…..a challenging, yet satisfying way to fill my stay-at-home hours.


Better yet, the reader reception has been more positive than I expected. As I said before, I like the story and am proud of how it turned out. To find that some of you agree, at least enough to keep reading, was gratifying. (We’re talking dozens, not hundreds.) Since Second Chances is the first of a two book story I will continue with the serialized chapters of Long Way Home, the second half, after the holidays. (For those who might want to start at Chapter 1 of Second Chances the right sidebar of this post provides links to all the chapters, beginning in October.)


Though I can’t say it works for everyone, I am comfortable urging each of you to consider you own “bold” ways of dealing with the numbing effects of this stay-at-home existence. Why not take a chance, something beyond your own normal, perhaps something you’ve been putting off?


Finally, if you are so inclined, I hope you will consider an invitation to add a reply to the email that brought you this link…….enough to spread your personal Christmas cheer to the rest of us……..with a “Reply to all” comment.


With that…..here’s wishing a happy holiday season to all of you, and a Happier (much happier) New Year. Stay safe.

2 comments:

  1. I applaud your attitude and willingness to try new adventures. After 20 years of retirement, I decided to follow the urging of friends and launched a project to create a booklet (or PDF) designed to guide people to enter just the location of all important documents,records,personal contact info. That way when there is an interruption (even temporary) in managing life, the spouse and family knows where everything is. This includes much more than legal, insurance, health items. Where is the Deed, storage unit keys,Birth & Military papers,tax returns,charge receipts. Over 100 Topics guide you. It is called My Life Directory and is getting good media support and lots of kind letters from those who use it. The Directory (900+ orders)is the perfect item to complete while spending COVID time indoors. Several buyers are giving copies to adult children. Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking in, Neil. Sounds like you hit on an idea that met a real need. I would call that a good use of your retirement time. By entering "my life directory" on Google I went right to your website and just ordered a copy. I think we would feel better knowing our offspring have that kind of detail.

    ReplyDelete