Wednesday, September 18, 2024

HER TURN TO BE HEARD


I have spent fifteen years posting my own rambling, often-disjointed thoughts in this blog form. In that time I have covered a wide range of topics that seemed to me appropriate for late-life readers……those of us dealing with what I call The October Years. And, of course, since I call this “a writer’s blog,” I have ‘sected and di-sected’ the stories I have told over the years.


But before you are turned off by the distressing possibility of another replay of “Gil and his stories,” let me assure you that my admittedly biased opinions of those Tanner Chronicle tales will not be found here. Not today.


Instead, I am adding a new voice to the conversation. Allow me to offer a bit of context.


In the months following Roma’s July, 2022 passing I let myself get lost in a lengthy process of creating new covers for each of my October Years paperbacks……the stories were unchanged, only the covers were new.


When the first ‘new’ version arrived I replaced the older copy on the living room bookshelf. As I did that I found a handwritten note inside the old paperback. To my surprise Roma had reread the story and created a brief review……her opinion of the story and the characters. Before I was done I had found eleven of those reviews among the paperbacks on that shelf.


Understand, from the beginning Roma had read every chapter of every story as I completed it. She was my proofreader and grammar coach ……correcting my writing, but rarely critiquing the story I was telling.


Suddenly that had changed. Though I had never paid for a review, and for reasons I never understood Amazon would not allow reviews of my books, in a matter of months after her drawn-out,, cancer-induced passing there she was, in her own handwriting, offering the blunt and to-the-point opinions I would have expected from her.


Truth to tell, I accept the praise she offers for the stories and characters she likes all the more because she is equally inclined to point out the flaws and failings of the stories and characters she does not find appealing. That is the lady I love……going straight to the heart of the matter.


And that is what I offer you today……eleven reviews in Roma’s own words, each one with a brief introduction to set the scene.  As one who walked that storytelling path with me, it seems only right that she has the last words on these matters.


****************************


SECOND CHANCES is a two book story of the widowed Harris brothers and their Geriatric Adolescence adventures.


Roma……I really liked this book. It was so well written and very believable. I could feel the love the brothers had for each other. I enjoyed their banter back and forth.

My least favorite character was Claudia. She is a wimp. I don’t understand people like her. Sure she had a hard life, but she didn’t try to make it any easier for herself. Luckily Gary saw more in her than I did.

Even though I’d read the story before I was still worried and excited about Elly’s adventure with Tom. It was like watching a movie.

I didn’t like Tom (of course.) But in the end I felt sorry for him. He really did love Elly.


***************************


LONG WAY HOME is a continuation of the Harris brothers’ story.


Roma……I liked the second half of the Harris brothers saga almost as much as the first.

At first I found the Freedom City and Baja episodes a little unbelievable, but you did such a good job writing them that they became believable.

I am always amazed at your descriptions. Do you use a map to check out places and distances?

Even though I had read the story before and knew how it would turn out, I still shed a tear when Laura got back to the family.

The whole soulmate thing surprised me. I though you were more of a believer than that! 

Good job!!!


******************************


BECOMING tells of Carl Postell leaving his wife to become a writer, then falling for his father’s caretaker.


Roma……I have to start by saying I did not enjoy this book very much. It was well written and you certainly developed the story well. My hang up is primarily because I did not like Carl Postell.

To me he was a very selfish man. I’m not sure he ever loved his wife. It didn’t seem like it. Thirty seven years went down the drain because he wanted to write and his wife was a bother and a nag. 

Did that happen overnight? Did he ever try to explain his passion in a way she could maybe understand? He certainly was much more anxious to bend his rules for Maria. (Who did not deserve it.)

He was an only child, yet he could only be bothered to have (a free) lunch with his dad a couple times a week. No rides, movies, etc. He was even thinking of leaving him alone at Christmas. No, I did not like this guy. I think he got what he deserved.

I’ve never known anyone like Maria, so I can’t really comment on her……but I didn’t really like her either.

I thought the friend, Jack, was a person I can’t relate to. He had no ambition other than to pursue a dream from his childhood. How sick is that? I’m glad for Cynthia, but I think she could have done better.


*****************************


BEST FRIENDS AND PROMISES follows Aaron Peck as his wife sinks into dementia, and he and Johnny Blanton cope with late-life.


Roma……The first time I read this story I didn’t like it. Maybe it was the subject matter. I don’t know. But you’ve smoothed it out some and did such a great job telling the story that I’ve changed my mind.

I love how you develop your characters. I can visualize them and feel like I know them. Johnny to me was definitely Joel. The others were no particular people, just friends.

I’m not sure Aaron and Beverly are going to make their promises work in the long haul unless Leona has an early demise.

Good job!



*****************************


CONVERSATIONS WITH SARAH Hank deals with Sarah’s passing by visiting with the Clabber Girl Baking Powder tin that holds her ashes. 

(Confession…Roma’s ashes reside in my Cave, in a Clabber Girl Baking Powder tin.)


Roma……..I was prepared not to like this story. Your depiction of Sarah dying reminded me too much of watching your Mom die. It brought up images I’ve tried to forget. 

And I wasn’t sure if some guy talking to a tin can was going to work. But as the story progressed I got caught up in Hank's adventure and the characters, and found it really enjoyable. (Are widows truly the predators you make them out to be?)

I was glad that Jimmy came along to save Grace from her dull life. She must have been ready, because she adjusted pretty quickly.

I like the way you manage to incorporate some of our adventures into your stories.

I liked it.


*****************************


GOING POOR Lane Tipton is a dreamer whose dreams have failed him.


ROMA……This was not my favorite book. Mainly, I didn’t like the topic. You told the story well. I like how the ending worked out, but I couldn’t identify with the two women. 

No one in my acquaintance would invite a guy into her trailer after a couple weeks. And Marla was so whinny and needy. They had gotten along on their own for months and all of a sudden they both caved.

I always enjoy the detail you provide, weaving your story. That part is believable, but the women got in the way.


*****************************


OCTOBER BOLD David and Marian were two timid souls, thousands of miles apart……. wondering if they should be together.


Roma……I liked the story very much. I think I might have recognized Marian.

I have to say I’ve never experienced love at first sight. I know it happens, but I don’t really understand it. I think your characters were having a little problem with it too.

I liked the way your were able to use your own ladder mishap to such good advantage.

All in all, it was an enjoyable read……except for one thing. Everyone kept referring to her as “That Oregon lady” or “That Tanner woman,” and they referred to him as “That Iowa guy” or “That Iowa farmer.” Why not use their names?


*****************************


BREATHING UNDERWATER Jim and Anita were facing their own ‘underwater’ reality. The need to downsize was disappointing, but real.


Roma……The first time I read this book, I really didn’t like it. It was hitting too close to my own feelings at the time. I can read it now, and enjoy it. I guess I have “settled in.”

The characters were very believable, but I couldn’t identify with any of them. The husband was a saint to put up with that whinny wife, the wife was a loser, as was the son. The daughter and grand daughter had possibilities.

I think Jim deserves better.


*****************************


FAMILY MATTERS Dan and Nell can not agree on their retirement future. What can come of that?


Roma……Amazon won’t let me post a reviews so this will have to do.

I like the book. I recognized some of the characters.

I was upset with Dan and Gary. From my point of view (and eventually yours) they were a couple of selfish, insensitive clods. But you turned them around in the end.

I was not too fond of Nell either. I don’t care much for “poor me” feminine women.

I thought Dan’s adventures and the people he met in his travels were very likable and believable.

I think you can be very proud of your effort here.


*****************************



FOREVER STARTS NOW was my first novel, written in England and hidden in a closet for thirty years before igniting a new round of storytelling.


Roma……I really liked this story. It was more in line with the books I read. It was well written, suspenseful……but sad.

We all know there are kids like Ross who are picked on by other kids and ignored by the adults who should be protecting them. Add to that the fact that his neighborhood had none of the ‘nicer’ amenities that might have drawn him in.

I liked Wilson, but the girl was little over the top for me. Would a kidnapped girl really get that attached to a kid that had shot a cop and kidnapped her?

Anyway, it was a good read. You should do more of this!!!

 

*****************************


INDIAN SUMMER AT HORSESHOE RANCH is a kid’s story I wrote and read to our kids when we ranched in Eastern Oregon.


Roma…..I though this was a great kid’s story. What kid wouldn’t want to move to a ranch, have their own horse, and find an Indian treasure. It was realistic (unless you were a Stewart kid) and exciting.

How did you know so much about Indian stuff? You’re amazing!



There you have it. What a blessing it was, the surprising discovery of her reviews. It was like having her right here with me. In the process it revitalized our Clabber Girl conversations.


And what was all the fuss about? These links (LINK #1) and (LINK#2) will take you there.



3 comments:

  1. I loved hearing her words -- I'm so glad she left you all these little treasures. I sure do miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved hearing Roma’s voice. What a treat. Even tho I don’t have the writing gift like you, Gil (and Roma!), her writing makes me want to write something of my life for future family.

    ReplyDelete